Serra Catechetical Institute
To Make Up an Absence
If you are unable to attend this class, please submit written responses to two questions from each section below (for a total of eight questions) to Valentin Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org . Each response should be 2-3 paragraphs in length and address the question completely. Please include the question at the top of your response.
Chapter 1: My Soul Longs for You, O God
- Briefly describe the three paths by which every human person can come to God. How are they related, and how are they different?
- "Religious seekers in the United States live within a culture that in some important ways provides support for belief in God while at the same time also discourages and corrodes the faith in practice" (p. 6). Explain with examples.
- What examples or “proofs” (converging and convincing arguments) of the spiritual soul would you give to a friend that does not believe in its existence?
- "God can be known with certainty from his works in creation and from the spiritual nature of the human person by the light of natural reason, although there are many difficulties in coming to this knowledge because of humanity's historical and sinful condition." Give some examples of how "humanity’s historical and sinful condition" makes it difficult to come to know God.
Chapter 2: God Comes to Meet Us
- Describe the relationship between public and private revelation and how they differ. Why is it important to understand the difference between the two?
- "The culture in which we live is, in many ways, individualistic, secular, and materialistic" (p. 16). How do these qualities of the culture challenge believers in God’s Revelation?
- Consider another "revealed" religion (such as Islam or Mormonism). How does its revelation contradict the Revelation of Christ?
Chapter 3: Proclaim the Gospel to Every Creature
- Describe the two means by which Divine Revelation is transmitted. How are they related to one another and to Christ?
- What is the Magisterium and how is it related to Christ and the Apostles? What is the sensus fidei and how is it related to the Magisterium?
- Select a passage from Scripture and describe its literal sense and its allegorical, moral and anagogical senses.
- Biblical Literalism and Historical Reductionism are two modern challenges to an authentic understanding of Scripture. Describe and give an example of each. Is there a way in which the two approaches are alike?
- Divine Revelation
Do we need Divine Revelation to come into intimate knowledge of God? Name two reason why or why not. What are the 2 forms that God’s revelation is transmitted to us?
- Sacred Scripture
Does Sacred Scripture contain errors? Explain. Who is the principle author of the Bible?
- Can the Bible be Taken Literally?
Can Catholics read the Bible literally? What are the four senses of Sacred Scripture?
- Typology: The Sacraments of Initiation and the Bible.
Explain the biblical types of one of the sacraments of initiation.