To Make Up an Absence
If you are unable to attend this class, please submit written responses to two questions from each chapter and one from the handouts below (for a total of seven questions) to Valentin Carrillo at email@example.com. Each response should be 2-3 paragraphs in length and address the question completely. Please include the question at the top of your response.
Chapter 14: The Celebration of the Paschal Mystery of Christ
- What is the relationship between liturgy and Sacrament? How are the two distinct? Give a definition and examples of each, describing how each example fulfills the definition.
- "A liturgical celebration uses signs and symbols drawn from creation, human life, and the history of salvation. Integrated into faith, the signs become bearers of the sanctifying action of Christ." (p. 177) Give examples of signs and symbols used in the liturgy from each of the three sources mentioned and explain their function.
- What are the roles of sacred song and music and sacred images in liturgy? Choose examples of each and describe how they fulfill their role.
Chapter 15: Baptism: Becoming a Christian
- Why did Jesus submit to Baptism? What is the relationship between the Baptism of each Christian and Jesus' Baptism by John in the Jordan?
- How does the celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation differ between the Latin and Eastern Catholic Churches? Describe how these differences illustrate certain aspects of each of the three Sacraments.
- Discuss the necessity of Baptism and the question of those who die without Baptism. What is meant by the principle "God has bound salvation to the sacrament of baptism, but he himself is not bound by the sacraments" (CCC no. 1257)?
Describe the effects of this Sacrament and how they are signified by the signs and symbols in the Rite.
Chapter 16: Confirmation: Consecrated for the Mission
- Describe the relationship between Baptism and Confirmation. How is that relationship expressed in the Rite of Confirmation in the Latin and Eastern Churches?
- Describe the effects of this Sacrament and how they are signified by the signs and symbols in the Rite.
- Use at least three passages from Scripture to illustrate the relationship between the Sacrament of the Holy Spirit (Confirmation) and Christian mission.
- Sacramental Living
"The disciple of Christ is called to a completely new way of life." How does sacramental living result in newness of life?
Describe the Rite of Confirmation and the significance of the priest’s words and actions.
- Real Presence
What is the Real Presence? Explain, using at least one passage from scripture. How are we called to respond to the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist?