The St. Francis de Sales School for Pastoral Ministry
The mission of the Saint Francis de Sales School for Pastoral Ministry is to form lay people to be “missionary disciples,” inspired and equipped to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world.
The Saint Francis de Sales School for Pastoral Ministry provides an integrative approach to faith formation. Participants not only deepen their knowledge of God and the teachings of the Catholic Church, but also are enriched by Christian spirituality and mobilized to evangelize within and beyond their parish communities.
The School meets one Saturday per month for three years. Using an adult-learning model, students take classes, which include lectures, discussions, reading, and theological reflection. They also pray together and participate in the sacraments and liturgies of the Church. Courses are tailored to meet the needs of the working professional. As participants engage with the course content, they are challenged to grow in intentional discipleship and missionary passion.
Following this program, students will have the opportunity to specialize their studies in a particular area of ministry or area of interest.
TOPICS FOR STUDY IN THE PROGRAM
- Spirituality and Prayer in the Christian Tradition
- Sacred Scripture
- The Documents of the Second Vatican Council
- Church History
- The Creed: Exploring the Mysteries of God, Jesus Christ, Salvation, the Holy Spirit and the Church
- Transformation in Christ
- Catholic Social Teaching
- Catholic Moral Thought
- The New Evangelization
- The Mission and Spirituality of the Laity
- Discernment of Personal Gifts and Charisms
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Individuals or couples who wish to grow in intentional discipleship as they encounter Jesus Christ through study, prayer, and service.
- Lay ministers who would like to deepen their knowledge of God’s self-revelation, cultivate a robust spiritual life, and build their practical ministerial skills.
- Catholic School teachers who want to enhance their Catholic identity through a deeper engagement with our spiritual and theological traditions.
- Catechists and those interested in applying as Master Catechist candidates. Please check with the Diocese if interested in pursuing this certificate.
HOW TO APPLY
Classes start January of each year. While applications are received mainly between September and December of each year, applications may be received year-round. Applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been accepted. Please apply in a timely manner since space for each new class is limited.
$25.00 Application Fee + online registration fees (non-refundable)
$450.00 per school year. Cost of the program does not include textbooks. Tuition assistance is available upon request.