Very Reverend George E. Mockel
The Vicar General aids the Bishop in the governance of the diocese. He has the same executive authority as the Bishop with the exception of any powers the Bishop may have reserved to himself or which the law of the church requires a special mandate from the Bishop. In the overall functioning of the diocese the Vicar General acts as a kind of Chief Operating Officer. In the Diocese of Oakland he assists the Bishop in the conferral of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
The Vicar General supervises or oversees the following Departments/Ministries:
- Clergy Services
- Pastoral Planning & Stewardship
- Cathedral Complex/Property Management.
The Vicar General serves on the following Boards:
- Catholic Foundation for the Diocese of Oakland
- Catholic Management Services, Inc.
- Catholic Funeral & Cemetery Services
- College of Consultors
- Diocesan Finance Council
- Diocesan Pastoral Council
- Diocesan Planning Board
- Oakland Parochial Fund, Inc.
- Pastoral Leadership Placement Board
- Presbyteral Council
Office of the Vicar General
2121 Harrison St. Suite 100
Oakland, CA 94612
Teresa Peña, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (510) 267-8317
Fax: (510) 496-7253
In May 2013, Reverend Mockel made a pilgrimage to Lourdes with the Order of Malta. Read his daily reflections and view photographs on the Catholic Voice website.